If you are interested in more information regarding our estate sale process please give us a call or check out our other website.
What should I choose … Auction or Estate Sale?
Of course the choice is ultimately up to YOU however auctions are usually best for larger, collectible, more expensive estate items such as furniture, art, jewelry, antiques and collectibles and not the garage sale nickel and dime items.
Estate sales are conducted so that everything in the home is for sale. Of course a lot of these items are sell-able through auction but some items that are not include items such as … toiletries, generic linens, clothes, simple housewares like kitchen items, appliances, garage tools and outdoor lawn equipment.
Reasons why an Estate Sale may not work for your situation …
Often times when estate sales are not an option, auctions provide a solution for those needing to liquidate their possessions.
- Many homes are under the strict management of an unrelenting homeowners association that forbids estate sales
- Gated communities that are not accessible to the public
- If you have a storage building full of items you would like to sell
- Perhaps you don’t want your home open to the public for personal reasons or because you are not selling an entire home of items
Why should I hire A-Z to execute my Estate Sale?
- 15 years resale experience, extensive experience organizing and executing estate sales and liquidations
- Advertising on our website, and by way of our email list,
- We reduce theft and breakage by limiting the number of buyers in the house at any one time
- We care about you and about your prized possessions. We will always be empathetic to you and your family’s feelings, and we will exercise great care in the handling your possessions.
- Our commission covers setting up and conducting your sale from start to finish! It also pays for all advertising costs, organizing, staging, and labor costs! There are no hidden fees or upfront out of pocket expenses. Our commission rates are as low as 35%.
How far in advance should I call you?
- The sooner the better. We may have other sales scheduled. If you need your sale expedited we will work with you!
- Most sales are done in 7 days from start to finish….4 days or less prepping and a 3 day sale.
- If there is a substantial amount of items needing to be priced, organized, and cleaned additional prep time may be necessary.
What will it cost me for A-Z to execute my Estate Sale?
- There is no up-front or out-of-pocket expense to you.
- Our commission usually ranges from 35-40% however fees may vary based on the amount of time, labor, and research required. We will decide on our percentage at your free consultation.
- We will negotiate with you a percentage of total sales for our commission, and simply deduct that from the proceeds at the end of the sale.
How long does it take you to “set up” an Estate Sale?
- We normally only need 2-3 days to set-up an estate sale however size and amount of items may cause set-up time to vary.
How many days do you hold an estate sale open?
- We usually hold the estate sale open to the public for 3-4 days
Where do you advertise your Estate Sales?
- We advertise on our web page, our large email list, 3 Estate Sale Websites, Craigslist, on our Facebook page or local newspapers, and with professional directional signs.
I don’t have an “entire household” of possessions. Can you help me sell what I have?
- We do need a certain quantity of sellable items, in order for us to hold a liquidation sale for you. However, it does need to be an “entire household”, especially if there are lots of tools, jewelry, desirable collectibles, etc. Give us a call, and we will tell you whether or not we can do a liquidation sale for you, based upon what you have to sell.
My estate is not full of EXPENSIVE or highly VALUABLE items? Can I still schedule an estate sale with just normal household stuff-furniture, household goods, etc?
- YES! There are A LOT of estate sale go-er’s who go to estate sales to find non-expensive, “plain” houseware items.
What happens to the items that don’t sell?
- We strive to sell every last item in the house for the highest price we can achieve and it is always my ultimate goal to sell EVERYTHING … However, unlike a store, we can not sit back and wait days, months, or years for items to sell. We only have 3-4 day so there may be items left over. At the end of the sale, if you wish, we can arrange to have a charity or clean out team remove leftover items.
- Of course, you can always choose to keep any unsold items or give them to friends or family.
- There are estate sale companies that require that all leftovers be given to them; our company does not do this…..You have to ask yourself, if a company will receive any unsold items, what is their incentive to sell and get you the most possible for your treasures?
Do I need to be present for the preparation days and sale days?
- No, in fact we ask that you please find somewhere away from the estate to “hang out” during sale and prep days. Please know that we do not say this to be rude however things run smoothly if we are able to give our full attention to your estate and all of your treasures. Please feel free to “drop in” at anytime but don’t stay too long, we want to give you our best and make your sale successful. Our previous experience has brought increased prep time and a decline in sales.
How do I arrange for A-Z to execute my sale?
- Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and arrange for a free evaluation of your estate.
What IS an Estate Sale, anyway?
- Originally an estate sale was a sale or auction held to liquidate the possessions left behind by someone recently deceased. More recently, the term has been loosely applied to any sale inside a home involving an entire household of possessions.
What do you do to “set up” an estate liquidation sale?
- First, we set up our display tables throughout the house, and re-arrange furniture as necessary. Then, we go through the house, emptying drawers and boxes, cleaning items as necessary and arranging them on our display tables. Finally, we affix prices to all displayed items and take final pictures of your items for advertising purposes.
Can I assign minimum prices to my possessions?
- We do allow our clients to set minimum prices on a very limited number of items, and will work with our clients to meet their needs. However, we have knowledge in current market value, and will tell you what the maximum price something is likely to bring. We will allow clients to set minimum prices on some items, however we must have have the freedom to price items to sell, at the prices we know will sell. Without the ability to sell items at our discretion profits are reduced causing an inability to pay for our time and our labor charges.
How soon will I, the client, be paid after the Estate Sale is over?
- We mail your check within 24-48 hours after the sale ends, no more than 2 business days. We understand that funds are often needed to pay for care, services/bills and we respect the fact that you need your money quickly! 99.9% of the time checks are mailed out first thing Monday morning (the day after the sale is completed).
Should I sort items out, or clean the house up before you arrive?
- Please do not throw anything away (see our don’t throw it away page above)even if you feel certain it is of no value. And sorting and arranging is our job – you don’t need to do it.
What if my estate contains fine art or very rare collectibles
- We have the resources available to determine the current market value of items whether they are common or rare. For fine art and ancient artifacts, if we cannot find the necessary information, we have a local appraiser that can give us answers. If we can’t price something confidently, we will let you know before the sale, and if you wish, put it out for bid.
Should I wait until the house is sold, to hold my Estate Sale?
- This would be between you and your listing agency to discuss how full the house should be and if you need the funds from the estate sale to close on the house. The estate sale will bring in possible buyers for the house itself and it is a fact that homes sell faster from Estate Sales!
If you would like to discuss whether or not an estate sale is right for you please